TTS14 to Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa

The Traveling School is a non-profit school dedicated to academic inspiration, outdoor skill development, overseas exploration, and a deeper comprehension of the world we live in.

1, 2, 3 . . . . JUMP!

1, 2, 3 . . . . JUMP!
Namibian Salt Pan

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Here we go!

Hello Fellow TTS Parents and Students!

I am Mariel's mom, Kim. She and I are so excited to meet everyone in the coming days. Today she is busy sewing on her patches and we read through and looked at a beautiful book about Namibia lent to us by a friend. The animals and landscapes are incredible!

We plan to go to Washington DC a few days early to take in some of the government sites and monuments, so we will see you at the hotel on the 1st instead of the airport.

I am living in an loving my parental separation anxiety as both of my children travel the globe. My son, Tanner, who just turned 18, is backpacking with a friend around Japan for three weeks and, of course, Mariel is flying off to Africa. With that said, I am watching the shifting boundaries of parenting and trying to honor all involved as we move through and into our new relationship landscape. I very much appreciated all of the material in the handbook as it helps to hear from experienced outdoor educators about what to expect from our daughters as they find themselves, new relationships, and community.

I have felt enormous gratitude for this amazing opportunity that has come into Mariel's life. TTS has given a small town girl who is bursting at the seems to be the big person she is an opportunity to be in the world in a way that embraces her whole being, sets healthy boundaries, and encourages responsibility in the learning process yet also encourages freedom of thought and movement.

So with great love and care I wish all the girls and their families safe travels to DC and beyond!

Cheers,

Kim Colvin

No comments:

Post a Comment